Story book baby shower

Story books have been a poplar theme for baby shower cakes the past few months.

After several discussions the book chosen for this shower "Where the Wild Things Are"  a classic children's book written by Maurice Sendak, where Max, a disobedient little boy is sent to bed without his supper.  He creates his own world in a forest inhabited by ferocious wild creatures that crown Max their ruler. 
The client was holding the shower at a private boat club and wanted to incorporate a boat so I used the wild things image as the boat in this piece.

First I created the "wild thing" in Mexican paste.  I then rolled out the book cover and the page and let each dry for 48 hours.
I then airbrushed the top page a mixture of blue shades with an overlay of black for a nite-sky.  While this was drying I cut the planks for the boat and assembled then on the side of a strainer to give me a bough shape.  The stars and moon were very thin fondant and the strings holding them in the sky were painted on by hand.  
The heroin and waves were added last and again I airbrushed an overall light black for depth
The cake was Almond and Raspberry Compote baked in the large book pan.  The story was created in Mexican Paste so that it would be stronger than fondant but not as strong as gumpaste.  The pages on the side of the book are fondant as well as the book mark and the book cover under the cake.  I made the top so that the new mom could keep it if she wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment