Sunflowers


The center is the first step in making a sunflower.  Here I have cut the large circle from the Wilton gumpaste set.  I insert a  6"-18 gauge wire and using my thumb I make a slight indentation in the top. This is left to dry.  When I am ready to assemble the flower, I paint the center with sugar glue and using sugar-tex, in brown,  I dust the surface to add the pollen.  Note that the indented center is a very dark brown.


This is a daisy wheel from F.M.M.  Roll out your gumpaste and place the paste ON the wheel.  Usually the paste is rolled out and then cut.  This cutter requires that the paste is placed over the wheel and then you roll the gumpaste rolling pin over the clay and it will cut.


Now you simply pull the remaining clay away from the wheel.  At this point you gently remove your large flower from the wheel,  thin your petals with a slight cupping. 


You can use any small petal cutter for the individual petals.  Cut and thin your petals then vein the petal before attaching it to the the cut base.  The first row of individual petals I glue directly to the base, however, the next two rows of petals are staggered to give a nice fullness.



This is the finished flower along with additional centers and a hydrangea needed for another cake.  I usually airbrush the the petals to give them a richer yellow color and if your center needs to be brightened you can do that as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment