Ashley and Tony

Several weeks in prior to the wedding date, I started the flowers for this cake. 


 This is a filler flower (these are not always based on a real flower, for this cake, it allows the brides apple green color to be incorporated into the finished bouquet)


                 Seven of the flowers are wired together to create a cluster once they have dried. Fourteen groups were needed.


                          

  
These are the steps to make baby's breath.  The JEM cutter cuts 6 blooms at once.  I then insert one stamen into the center of each bloom and then tape the 6 blooms together on a 26 gauge wire.

I chose to make the centers for the white Peonies.  First, white silk thread wrapped around my fingers 50-60 times.  I then attach a 26 gauge wire with floral tape.  Then I dampen the ends of the silk thread with gum glue and insert it into a dish of sugar tex to create pollen.  If you do not have access to sugar tex you may also create this by using grits.


Once the centers have dried overnight you are ready to attach the first row of petals.  I cut the petal from gumpaste and using the ball tool create a cup shape with the clay and attached 5 of them to the center.  Again allow this to dry several hours before adding the next row of petals.   I generally dry the first two rows of petals 24 hours each to insure that it has good support.




This is the flower spray being put togethers (I am using a cake pan the size of the tier for measurement).


The whole cake was White cake with Raspberry Compote.  It was frosted in buttercream with fondant ribbons at the base of each tier.  The filigree was done in a free-hand style of  black buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment