Black and White















This wedding cake was very emotional for me. As I met this young women mother 25 years ago while working in an environmental laboratory. I was the office manager and her mother was the human resource director. While eating lunch one day we were talking about my growing up in the catering industry and she asked me to make a cake for an upcoming birthday. Well here we are 25 years later. I bake full time and her little girl who is now 23 is getting married.

The first picture shows the plastic gumpaste flower and leaf cutters as well as three filagree cutters and a number of shapes that I made from cookie cutter tin, all to create the shapes needed. The second picture is a number of the pieces cut from mexican paste. I let them dry approximately one hour to make them easier to apply to the buttercream.

The last picture is the finished cake at the reception. It featured chocolate cake with fresh raspberry compote, white cake with strawberry mousse and chocolate peanut butter cake with peanut butter mousse. The flowers are gumpaste white poppies with a black eye.

On a personal note: This reception was one of my top 5 favorites. I cannot express just how breath taking the room was. The flowers that filled this room were nothing short of amazing. The food was excellent and everyone truly enjoyed the day.

25 years ago that very first cake, made me realize my purpose, my joy, my passion to create. I left the work force and remolded my kitchen into an industrial kitchen (you will see parts of the kitchen in the background of other pictures).

This family has three daughters, the oldest daughter was married 2 years ago (I did her cake as well. ) The youngest daughter is in her Masters program. This wedding was the middle daughter.

I have done almost all of the birthday, graduation and special event cakes for this family. My art is a GIFT and I express my thanks by creating cakes.

I am truly thankful to my first customers.





No comments:

Post a Comment