75 Years of Bling



This cake was so much fun!!!  
The birthday girl is a "glamour doll"to all who know her.  She was turning 75 and celebrating with "bling".

I started the the High Heel... First molding the heel it self and allowing the pastillage to dry a few days. 

Pastillage clay is very hard and when it is dry you can literally sandpaper away any imperfections to the piece. 
  
At this stage I have cut styrofoam to hold the shoe in the shape.  I have placed a piece of parchment on the styrofoam, to keep the shoe from getting any pattern from the styrofoam and more importantly to keep the clay from picking up any partials from the styrofoam, which are NOT edible. 

The next step is to cut the sole and glue it to the heel.  At this point I also create the strap of the shoe so that it is ready attach when the back of the shoe is created.

Again I leave all to dry overnight.


Most shoe kits suggest the back heel of the shoe be supported with some plastic wrap crumpled in a ball.  I personal do not have much luck with that method.  Therefore, I attach the back of the shoe, with the strap in place,  then resting it in this position as pictured.  This allows the back of the shoe to stand nicely and the strap to hold position.

You will notice in the next picture that I have shoe standing on the form and I have the toe of the shoe cut and molded.  I let it rest on the support for about an hour before attaching it to the shoe.  This step allows the toe to hold its shape nicely while it is attached.  

While the toe of the shoe is resting I cut the insole and paint it gold before attaching to the sole.  


The shoe is finished with the toe attached and a strip connecting the toe to the strap.  Small gold diamonds were added to the center strap for a little extra bling.

The cake for this shoe was a 14" and 8" Yellow cake with Raspberry Compote. It was frosted in white buttercream.  I then chilled the cake several hours.  I removed the bottom tier to then stencil the damasks print with black buttercream.

The side view shows the red and black filagree which was cut from fondant using Stephen Benson cutters.  I chose to use craft pearls on this cake as the shoe was a keepsake and if the pearls where made of sugar they would more than likely break upon removing the shoe from the cake.  The cake was finished with a shell boarder. 



No comments:

Post a Comment