Rattlesnake




A long time client brought me this picture of a design her 6 year old son requested for his birthday cake.


First things first, I need to create the armature for the cake.  I started with a 20" cake drum, which allowed me to hot glue the armature to the board so the final cake would have good support during transportation.


The rattlesnake head and upper body is made of rice cereal treat.  The snake was to be chocolate cake,  I started with the trunk the cake which I wrapped with wafer paper to hold-its-shape prior to adding the fondant.  This paper is very light and will melt into the buttercream.


The remaining cake was added and the tail was wrapped in wafer paper, again for support.


The whole cake and cereal form was then covered in buttercream.  At this point I rested the cake in the refrigerator for a few hours to firm up.


The underside of a snake has long rows of scale and the back of the snake is small circular scales.  I started with all the areas of the underside of the snake laying rows of fondant in thin strips. Then starting with the head, covered the remaining area with fondant.  The pattern was pressed into the fresh fondant with a cake tip and diamond shape gumpaste cutter.  


Here is the finished cake, airbrushed and trimmed-out with gun, gun-belt and bad-guy black hat.
The sand is vanilla wafers ground in coffee grinder. and the message is cut from Fox Run cutters.
Happy Birthday Jake!

No comments:

Post a Comment